During the Norman domination, in 1184 the archbishop of Palermo Walter Offamilio started the construction of a splendid cathedral to replace the Muslim mosque with a Christian church.
Over the centuries the additions and restorations modified the original building: the most radical change was made by Ferdinando Fuga in 1771 and in 1809. He was an architect from Florence and gave to the interior of the church a neoclassical aspect.
View in Google Earth Categories: Religious - Christianity
Links: www.regione.sicilia.it
By: kjfitz
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Advertisement