1859. Active; focal plane 48 m (158 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 40 m (131 ft) 16-sided cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted in a checkered black and yellow pattern; base painted white; lantern silver. Fresnel lens in use. Three 1-story keeper's quarters. Like other Cuban lighthouses, this tower was formerly painted all white. The lighthouse has been named for Diego Velázquez, who first explored the islands off Cuba's north coast in 1514. Located on a small island off the north side of Cayo Romano.
Links: www.unc.edu, www.webshots.com