Christ Episcopal Church is situated on the west bank of Bayou Lafourche on a long, narrow lot located in the sugar cane producing community of Napoleonville, Louisiana. The land donated by Dr. E. E. Kittredge for the church is on the corner of what used to be Elm Hall Plantation. The beautifully proportioned building is in almost perfect scale with the narrow lot, its tall neighboring trees and the small town of Napoleonville. Designed by Architect Frank Wills of New York City in the Gothic Revival style similar to English village churches from the medieval period, the church was built in 1853 by local carpenters at a cost of $9,500, which was raised locally. The floor plan is of asymmetrical design with the nave measuring 58' 0" long by 25' S" wide; the sanctuary 22' 0" deep by 18' 10" wide, (off center with the nave); small transept 13' 10" wide by 6' 6" deep only east side; the sacristy 11' 4" wide by 9' 2" deep just forward of the transept (appears to be a later addition) and an entrance portico on the west rear corner (this was completely changed in 1896).
Religious - Christianity, Buildings - Religious