It was built between 1829 and 32 by Thomas Rickman and Henry Hutchinson. Later work in around 1882 was by John Bevan and in 1905 by William Venn Gough. Since it became redundant as a church in the late twentieth century, and owing to a covenant protecting its use for 'youth, community, and arts' it has been run by a variety of collectives, as a community center and music venue.
Religious - Christianity
As a music venue it hosted many famous artists notably from the punk, and reggae genres, and was an important landmark in the globally exported 'Bristol sound', during the 1990s.
The center is currently run by Trinity Community Arts as a community arts centre, and is continuing in its tradition as a Bristol music venue, as well as providing recording and broadcast studios, and training around media arts. The centre runs almost entirely upon Free software and is committed to spreading adoption of these technologies.