The chapel was first dedicated in 1872 by the Archbishop of San Francisco to serve growing towns from Mountain View to Redwood City. As the parish grew, the church was moved twice and expanded, but the basic cruciform plan remains the same. It is constructed of native redwood, painted white, and features brilliant stained glass windows. The beautiful rose window was added in 1900. The church survived the great earthquake of 1906 almost intact (but the rectory was heavily damaged).