City Hall was built between 1769 and 1779 to the designs of Thomas Cooley. When constructed, it was as The Royal Exchange, where cash could be changed from Punts to Pounds and trading was carried out by merchants. In 1857 the building was acquired by the Dublin City Corporation and became the City Hall. In 1827, due to the currency amalgamation the building fell into disuse. In 1916 the building was used as a garrison for the Irish Citizen Army.
Buildings - Government
Links: www.dublincity.ie, en.wikipedia.org, archiseek.com