Completed in 1904, the 100-foot diameter steel and cement Crib sits inapproximately 53 feet of water, approximately 3.5 miles from shore and 5 miles from the pumping station. The Crib might have been one of the first offshore wind installations in the country back when people actually lived on the structure to ensure its safe operation. While still supplying water to Cleveland, it currently holds only warning beacons and Coast Guard equipment powered by a modern photovoltaic (PV) array. Designed to withstand the impact by ships, the structure?s robustness combined with its existing height and location make it the ideal candidate to hold a modern wind-monitoring tower; thus saving the massive cost of a new lake foundation.
View in Google Earth Categories: Lighthouses, Sanitation
Links: www.greenenergyohio.org
By: kjfitz
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Advertisement