Coats Observatory is one of four public observatories operating in the UK, all of which are sited in Scotland. The building opened to the public on October 1st 1883. The first telescope was a five inch refractor built by Thomas Cooke of York. Other equipment included an orrery, spectroscope and a transit telescope. Meteorological recording was undertaken on a daily basis, and has continued uninterrupted to the present day.