Cobblers' Bridge or Shoemakers' Bridge (Slovene: Čevljarski most or Šuštarski most) is a bridge crossing the river Ljubljanica in Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia.

It is one of the oldest bridges crossing the river in Ljubljana, and dates back to at least the 13th century. In the Middle Ages it was known as the Upper Bridge (Zgornji most).

It started as a wooden bridge with a butchers shop on it, but the stench from the meat was so strong that the Emperor at the time paid to have them relocated. The occupiers of their booths following this were shoemakers, and so the bridge has its present name.

The bridge has been reconstructed on numerous occasions throughout its long history due to floods or fires and in 1867 an iron bridge was built. However this was later relocated in 1931 and replaced with the current stone bridge designed by the architect Jože Plečnik.

In 2010, a monument to Ivan Hribar, mayor of Ljubljana between 1895 and 1907, was unveiled next to the bridge.
View in Google Earth Categories: Bridges - Pedestrian, Famous Architects
Links: en.wikipedia.org
By: kkeps
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Advertisement