The first USS Parche (SS-384/AGSS-384) was a United States Navy submarine.
Parche was built by the Portsmouth Navy Yard. Her keel was laid on 9 April 1943 and was christened on 24 July.
One of the most highly decorated ships of the famous World War II Pacific Submarine Force, USS Parche made six war patrols, earning five battle stars and two Presidential Unit Citation awards.
After decontamination, she proceeded to Mare Island Naval Shipyard at Vallejo, California. She was then decommissioned on December 10, 1946 and moved to joined the moth ball fleet Alameda, California in March 1947. On December 1, 1962 her classification was changed to Auxiliary Submarine, AGSS-384 and assigned as a Naval Reserve Training Submarine in Oakland, California.
Parche's name was stricken from the Navy List on November 8, 1969 and sold on June 18, 1970 for scrap. All that remains of her is the original conning tower barrel, bridge structure, shears, and upper gun from the war which remain enshrined at the Naval Submarine Base, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
By kjfitz @ 2008-05-19 17:15:01