This airfield was evidently constructed during WW2 as one of the 26 satellite airfields for Bunker Hill NAS (which later became Grissom ARB), located a few miles to the northwest.
The date of construction of the airfield has not been determined. No airfield at Converse was listed in the 1935 Air Pilots Register (courtesy of Michael Banks).
The earliest reference to an airfield at this location was on the October 1944 Chicago Sectional Chart (courtesy of Chris Kennedy), which depicted "11713" as an auxiliary airfield.
This former military airfield has a very unusual configuration: unlike so many former military training fields in the typical triangular layout, this one is a concrete octagon, 1,800' in diameter. This would appear to be the ideal airport layout - permitting landings in any direction - never a crosswind!