In 1869 A.M. Sutherland erected a log store at this site. It was converted into a jail in 1870 and during 1873 it was expanded into a court house which served the Manitoba Legislature until 1881. On August 26, 1874 Joseph Michaud, a volunteer soldier, was the first man hanged in Winnipeg in the Court's jail. Purchased by John R. Clements in 1881, the structure became a saloon, brothel and variety theatre before it's demolition in 1884.
Events - Historical