Court House

Court House


Winnipeg, Canada (CA)
In 1869 A.M. Sutherland erected a log store at this site. It was converted into a jail in 1870 and during 1873 it was expanded into a court house which served the Manitoba Legislature until 1881. On August 26, 1874 Joseph Michaud, a volunteer soldier, was the first man hanged in Winnipeg in the Court's jail. Purchased by John R. Clements in 1881, the structure became a saloon, brothel and variety theatre before it's demolition in 1884.
In 1869 A.M. Sutherland erected a log store at this site. It was converted into a jail in 1870 and during 1873 it was expanded into a court house which served the Manitoba Legislature until 1881. On August 26, 1874 Joseph Michaud, a volunteer soldier, was the first man hanged in Winnipeg in the Court's jail. Purchased by John R. Clements in 1881, the structure became a saloon, brothel and variety theatre before it's demolition in 1884.
View in Google Earth Events - Historical
Links: www.waymarking.com
By: kkeps

Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload

Advertisement