Cutter Sigurfari is the larger boat in the bottom of the thumbnail.
Largest object in the museum's collection is undoubtedly the 86-ton, twin-masted cutter Sigurfari, built in England in 1885. The last sailing ship in the Icelandic fleet, it was brought to Iceland in 1897 but sold to the Faroe Islands in 1919, where it fished until 1970 before returning to Iceland – and Akranes – in 1974, thanks to the efforts of Rev. Jón M. Guðjónsson and several local charities.
By AlbinoFlea @ 2005-11-09 16:10:00
6.0 (2 votes)