The Museum of Flying donated a 1942 Douglas DC-3 aircraft at no cost to the City of Santa Monica to be erected as a monument. The donation also included $50,000 in seed money to set up a special DC-3 Monument Fund established by the Museum of Flying specifically for the project. The DC-3 had been part of the Museum’s collection – the new museum location will not be large enough to accommodate the aircraft. The City of Santa Monica accepted full ownership of the DC-3 on October 5, 2004.
Airplanes - Civilian - Static Display - Propeller
The aircraft will be mounted at the southwest corner of Airport Avenue and Donald Douglas Loop South approximately ten feet off the ground and facing the intersection in a northeasterly direction (across the street from the new Airport Park). There will be a corresponding kiosk constructed at the base of the monument to detail the history of the aircraft, the Douglas Aircraft Company and its impact on the City of Santa Monica, the Airport and history of aviation. Additionally, a monument dedication plaque will be installed memorializing those individuals, companies and organizations who participated in the project.