This structure was constructed in 1903 by the Louisville Milling and Elevator Company. Built with a 25,000 bushel capacity, this grain elevator served area farmers until its closure in the 1950s. Howard A. Moore of Louisville was the facility’s manager, during the 1910s and 1920s, Moore, and his wife Zara, lived on Spruce Street in Louisville, just west of McKinley Avenue. In the late 1930s and 1940s, the Louisville Milling and Elevator Company was managed by Donald C. Moore. (Donald was perhaps Howard's son.) Donald Moore, and his wife Sadie, lived at 633 Garfield Avenue in Louisville. By the early 1950s, the facility’s name had been changed to "The Denver Elevator." Dan Gimkel was the manager in 1951. By the 1960s, the elevator had been acquired by Charles and Iona Thomas, and by Quentin C. Thomas, who ran a feed store in Louisville. The Thomases were descendant from a long-time Louisville coal mining family. Charles and Iona Thomas are still the building's owner in 2000.
Buildings - Novelty / Interesting