The Diamante fort is distinguished by its particular star-shape form. It is perfectly visible from the sky. The fort is the highest and furthest from the coast. It was built under the supervision of the Frenchman De Sicre in only two years, from 1756 to 1758, in a strategic position at the confluence of the Polcevera and Bisagno valleys. It has undergone few modifications in time since. 667 metres above sea-level, it is connected by a secret underground tunnel to the Forte Sperone. This fort represented the first bulwark of the city's defences against northern attackers.
At present it is not possible to visit inside due to many decades of decay. However, its lower bastions offer equally complete views of the city, the valleys and the Riviera.
View in Google Earth Categories: Military - Misc, Military - Bases, Military - Historic - Forts and Batteries
Links: www.fortidigenova.com
By: Effi
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Advertisement