This bridge is boring.
Rivers, Bridges - Automobile
The original bridge at this location was swept away during winter flooding in 1891. Later that year Bergen County purchased and put in its place a single-lane, 80-foot long, wrought iron Pratt Pony Truss Bridge with Phoenix Columns that was built by the Phoenixville Bridge Company of Phoenixville, Pennsylvania. The bridge was found in the pages of a catalog.
In 1983, the bridge was condemned because of its poor condition and another bridge was inserted through the middle of the original structure relieving the old bridge from carrying any traffic. In 1989, the structure was determined eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places.
On December 11, 2002, the bridge was disassembled and construction of the new bridge began. The U.S. Army Corp of Engineers wanted the historic bridge, at least the trusses, to live on so they marketed it nationwide. For a symbolic dollar, the bridge was purchased and the old structure was trucked from Oakland back to Phoenixville where it was crafted over a century earlier. The trusses will be used in a new park there.