Development of the C-124 began in 1947. Based on the short-lived C-74 the Globemaster II was intended to give the Air Force a long-range heavy-lift capability. The largest aircraft on use by the U.S. Air Force at the time, the C-124 could carry over 200 passengers or large cargos that would not fit in any other aircraft. The Globemaster II entered service in 1950 and they remained in use well into the 1970s. The C-124C version introduced more powerful engines, weather radar and better de-iceing equipment. These changes were later refitted to earlier aircraft. A total of 447 Globemaster IIs were built.
Category: Airplanes - Military - Static Display - Cargo