Estadio Inca Garcilaso de la Vega
By adrbr @ 2008-06-16 10:03:26
The Estadio Garcilaso de la Vega is Cusco's principal stadium and the home venue of the local team Cienciano. The stadium was named after the Peruvian mestizo Inca Garcilaso de la Vega and inaugurated in 1950, with an initial capacity of 30,000. It is owned by the Instituto Peruano del Deporte.
The increase in spectator capacity came after CONMEBOL chose Peru to host the Copa América 2004, prompting the Peruvian government to invest in a 5-million renovation program for its stadia, including the Estadio Garcilaso de la Vega. Its renovation cost approximately $1,720,000, which helped boost its official spectator capacity to 42,056. The stadium ended hosting the third place game of the Copa América 2004. Thanks to the event the city of Cusco received even more tourists than what already receives as Peru's top tourist destination.
It is also recognized as one of the most beautiful stadiums from all of South America, because of its grass, that is very taken care of. It impresses commentarists and visitors, because of its resistance to all type of climates that can be present in the city of Cusco and still look in great shape.