Hundreds of Fairmile Type B motor launches were built during the WW2 and used for varying duties including anti-submarine warfare, minesweeping and minelaying. One of the few left is ML162, built by A.M. Dickie & Sons, Bangor, in 1942. During the WW2 she shot down six enemy aircraft, took part in the sinking of a submarine and was highly commended for her part in D-Day invasion. After the war she served two years in the Royal Netherlands Navy. In 1952 she was converted to a passenger vessel and renamed Golden Galleon. She has been laid up at Reedham on the River Yare for many years.
Discussion at
View in Google Earth Categories: Sea - Military - Other
By: Hinkkanen


Please enable images and enter code to post
Anonymous picture
@ 2009-05-19 17:32:02
Ml 162 has regrettably since been broken up the broads authority after partially sinking on many times it was deemed that she had become a hazard to others using the waterway.