Built in 1858, the Fenwick Island Lighthouse has warned ships away from the Fenwick Shoal for 138 years.

At 89 feet in height, the lighthouse cost $23,748.96 to build. The lens that magnifies the light was imported from France.

The light originally burned whale oil before switching to kerosene. It was tended by two men who lived with their families in houses on either side of the lighthouse.

Today, the light operates automatically by electricity.
View in Google Earth Categories: Lighthouses
Links: en.wikipedia.org
By: mlc1us

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload