The site was originally WW2 mustard gas weapons storage and it was converted to nuclear bomb store in ffties being completed in 1958. RAF Barnham closed in the early 1960's and sold by MOD in 1966. It is nowin civilian use as the Gorse Industrial Estate.
View in Google Earth Categories: Military - Weapon Depots
Links: www.subbrit.org.uk, en.wikipedia.org
By: Hinkkanen
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Anonymous picture
Anonymous
@ 2012-10-15 15:53:46
The nuclear store was built on a greenfield site. The chemical weapon storage site is on the other (south) side of the road and about a mile away down a long track. It was previously used for testing the first tanks in WW1.
Advertisement