Former site of the Salle Le Peletier

Former site of the Salle Le Peletier (Google Maps)
No Thumbnail
No Thumbnail
Google Maps Google Maps Bing Maps Bing Maps Yahoo Maps Yahoo Maps
View in Google Earth
By kjfitz @ 2011-02-04 08:22:18
The Salle Le Peletier (sometimes referred to as the Salle de la rue Le Peletier or the Opéra Le Peletier) was the home of the Paris Opera from 1821 until the building was destroyed by fire in 1873.
Views by date
324
views
Rate as 1Rate as 2Rate as 3Rate as 4Rate as 5Rate as 6Rate as 7Rate as 8Rate as 9Rate as 10Unrated

Comments

Policies

Please log in if you don't want to post anonymously (anonymous users cannot post links)

Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Nearby maps
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Similar maps
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Share:
Anonymous picture
Anonymous
@ 2012-02-03 22:18:17
This bird's eye view is alas of the wrong spot. The Boulevard Hausmann - the huge road at the top - was built in the 1850s, and the Salle Peletier survived untouched until its destruction by fire in 1873. The theatre was bounded on threes sides by roads that survive, two with changed names, to this day. One is, unsurprisingly, Rue Peletier, onto which the 135 metre-long theatre fronted. But its main side wall was on the Rue Pinon, which, following the death in Paris of the long-term resident, was renamed Rue Rossini, and is still there, some 400-odd metres off this shot to the north. The back wall was on what is now Rue Drouot. The long southern wall was in garden grounds some 250 metres north of and parallel to the Boulevard Hausmann, the construction of which merely ate into the opera's grounds which had formerly stretched right down to the Boulevard des Italiens - the huge road at the bottom - via long entrance galleries

Stephen Jay-Taylor