Fort Grange (RAF Gosport)
By Hinkkanen @ 2006-03-30 10:36:57
Fort Grange, built 1859-62 is one of the line of five forts built to defend the Western approaches to Portsmouth Harbour. In february 1914 the site became part of an early airfield for Royal Flying Corps but they stayed only for the short time and Royal Naval Air Service took over in October 1914. RFC came back in 1915 and in 1918 the control of the site passed to newly fomed Royal Air Force. They stayed until 1945 when the base was transferred to Navy and became MMS Siskin. Airport was closed in 1956 and now only the original fortress and some hangars remain. The fortress is still owned by MoD and still has some use The airfield has disappeared under housing estates.
5.5 (2 votes)