Fort Richelieu

Fort Richelieu


Genoa, Italy (IT)
The strategic importance of this Fort was revealed during the siege of the Austrians in 1747. It was Marshall Louis du Plessis, Duke of Richelieu, who recommended arming the locale, which at that time was known as Menegu, with defences. The work was begun and in seven months the first part was finished: the moat, the base of the walls and the rampart for the artillery. In 1799 and 1809 work was done to add to the construction.

The perfecting and entire completion was effected in 1816 and 1827. The new works were to build the barracks on two floors, the access door, and the Coat of Arms of the House of Savoy (which, unfortunately has gone missing). After the end of War it hosted some homeless families. In 1959 it was used to house the repeater for RAI, and from then on was closed to the public
The strategic importance of this Fort was revealed during the siege of the Austrians in 1747. It was Marshall Louis du Plessis, Duke of Richelieu, who recommended arming the locale, which at that time was known as Menegu, with defences. The work was begun and in seven months the first part was finished: the moat, the base of the walls and the rampart for the artillery. In 1799 and 1809 work was done to add to the construction.

The perfecting and entire completion was effected in 1816 and 1827. The new works were to build the barracks on two floors, the access door, and the Coat of Arms of the House of Savoy (which, unfortunately has gone missing). After the end of War it hosted some homeless families. In 1959 it was used to house the repeater for RAI, and from then on was closed to the public
View in Google Earth Military - Misc, Castles, Military - Bases, Military - Historic - Forts and Batteries
By: Effi

Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload

Advertisement