Detroit's Fort-Shelby Hotel was constructed in 1917 as a 10 story hotel at the corner of First & Lafayette Streets. Albert Kahn designed a 21 story addition for the hotel, which was completed in 1927, doubling the size of the hotel to 900 rooms. The hotel faltered in the 1960s and 1970s. The hotel eventually closed. The Fort-Shelby remains vacant.