This car is one of 49 given to the American people by the citizens of France in thanks for aid rendered during and after World War II. Utilized for hauling military cargo during two world wars, they were known for their complement of “forty men - eight horses.” The “Merci” or Gratitude Train was assembled by French veterans, who decorated each car with the coats of arms of the provinces of France. On February 12, 1949, the citizens of Delaware formally welcomed the gift-laden offering at a ceremony held in Wilmington. A statewide exhibition tour followed. The car is owned and maintained by the American Legion’s Society of the 40 & 8, Voiture #1320.
Category: Vehicle - Trains, Trolleys and Streetcars