Franklin and Armfield Slave Office

Franklin and Armfield Slave Office


Alexandria, Virginia (VA), US
Isaac Franklin and John Armfield leased this brick building with access to the wharves and docks in 1828 as a holding pen for enslaved people being shipped from Northern Virginia to Louisiana. By the 1830s they often sold 1,000 people annually, operating as one of the largest slave-trading companies in the United States until 1836. Slave traders continuously owned the property until 1861.
Isaac Franklin and John Armfield leased this brick building with access to the wharves and docks in 1828 as a holding pen for enslaved people being shipped from Northern Virginia to Louisiana. By the 1830s they often sold 1,000 people annually, operating as one of the largest slave-trading companies in the United States until 1836. Slave traders continuously owned the property until 1861.
View in Google Earth Events - Historical
Links: www.dhr.virginia.gov
By: LancelotLink

Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload

Advertisement