The Indian Queen Tavern gained its reputation as the "George Washington House" through an assumption that "George Washington slept here." Research in primary sources has shown that the extant structure was never a tavern during Washington's lifetime, although it is possible that he stayed in the frame Indian Queen Tavern formerly located next to the present structure. The brick tavern began to be known as the "George Washington House" before 1878 when it was being used as a hotel. The structure also housed Jacob Coxey’s “army” of unemployed during an 1894 march on Washington, D.C. to demand relief. It now serves as headquarters for the Anacostia Watershed Society.
View in Google Earth Categories: Buildings - Novelty / Interesting
Links: en.wikipedia.org
By: mlc1us
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Advertisement