The Act of Congress of August 23, 1894, authorizing the extension west to 36th and M required the erection of "A Union Station For The Use Of All Roads That Might Terminate At That Point". Waddy Wood, a prominent architect, designed a massive structure to serve as a terminal for four roads. The building was 180 feet by 242 feet and three stories high. The Washington and Georgetown lines would use the ground floor on M Street while the Washington, Arlington, Falls Church, the projected Great Falls and Old Dominion were to come across the Potomac from Rosslyn entering the second and third floors respectively on steel trestles. The Metropolitan Railroad would use the roof.
In early 1895 construction began. The terminal, known as Union Station, contained waiting rooms, toilets, and terminal offices for the various railways on the M street side of the upper floors. D.C. Carll, Chief Engineer and Superintendent of Capital Tracdon, was in charge of construction.
At about the turn of the century, the building was considered at its peek as a modern and functional structure. From 1900 to 1956, it deteriorated to such a point that when it was acquired in 1956 by the DC Transit System from its predecessor, Capital Transit Company, the new management had a difficult decision to make; either to demolish the building or to reconstruct it. Its interior condition was generally decrepit and unbelievably shabby. The DC Transit System, because of its respect and affection for the historical significance of this unusual structure, chose the latter course and engaged in as extensive mega-million dollar program of rehabilitation and redevelopment.
Georgetown University School of Business occupies the majority of the office space in this Historic Building. The fourth floor has a terrace which was renovated in 1999 as an outdoor pavilion. The building offers 83,000 square feet of space.
By AlbinoFlea @ 2005-10-19 19:23:38