Gibb's Hill Lighthouse began its job on May 1, 1846 and has been flashing out its beam to seafaring men ever since first by the use of kerosene, and finally these days by electricity. In the decade before the lighthouse was constructed, a total of 39 vessels were wrecked off the Western end of the is lands. Here the reefs extend some 16 miles or more out to sea. At the time of its construction in 1844, steel was not available for building purposes. As a result, Gibb's Hill Lighthouse is one of the few in the world made of cast iron.