Golden Lady statue
By milwhcky @ 2007-10-12 13:24:33
"The Republic, aka Golden Lady. This 24-foot high, c1/3 size gold leaf on bronze replica of the 65-foot high gold leaf on plaster statue, which stood in the central focus Grand Basin gateway Court of Honor (southwest of the present Beach House at 63rd/Hayes Drive) at the Worlds' Columbian Exposition of 1893. This replica stands in the Hayes-Richards Circle (6300 S.), site of the exposition's Administration Building, at the opposite side of the Grand Basin site from where the original stood. The original and replica were by Daniel Chester French. French and architect Henry Bacon produced the 24 foot replica and pedestal, which were dedicated May 11, 1918 to honor both the 25th anniversary of the Exposition and the 100th birthday of the entry of the State of Illinois into the Union."