From Landmarks of Prince George's County, Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, 1993:
Bridges - Automobile
Governors Bridge crosses the Patuxent River near Bowie, joining Prince George's with Anne Arundel County. Erected in 1912, it is one of only two surviving truss spans in the county.
The name "Governors Bridge" is derived from the use of this crossing by two eighteenth-century Maryland governors, Samuel Ogle and his son Benjamin, who lived at nearby Belair Mansion.