The Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) Building is a historic building in downtown Detroit. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.

As GAR membership was restricted to veterans of the Civil War Union Army, their numbers dwindled through the beginning part of the 20th century. By the 1930s, the GAR had vacated the building and the city took ownership. The GAR building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on February 13, 1986. More recently the city has attempted to sell the building, but a coalition including the Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War and the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War brought suit against the city of Detroit to block sale of the building, claiming that a clause in the 1898 deed on the building stated that city must preserve the building as a memorial to Civil War veterans.
View in Google Earth Categories: Landmarks, Historical
Links: en.wikipedia.org
By: jbottero
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Advertisement