Destined for Egypt in 1889, the market's French-built minarets became Haiti's when the sale to a Cairo train station fell through and President Florvil Hyppolite bought the massive cast iron structures as part of his plan to modernize the city.
One side was destroyed in a 2008 fire. The January 12 2010 earthquake leveled the rest.
It has been rebuilt and opened January 2011.
, Towers - Clock