1858. Inactive since 1942 (a decorative flashing light is displayed). 6 m (20 ft) hexagonal wood keeper's house surmounted by a hexagonal cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery. This lighthouse was originally located on a screwpile platform off Palacios Point in the central part of Matagorda Bay. The lighthouse was deactivated, sold, and relocated onshore following a 1942 hurricane. In 1978, it was donated by its owner, Bill Bauer, to the Calhoun County Historical Commission. Bauer also endowed a trust fund for future maintenance. The lighthouse was then relocated a second time to the Port Lavaca Community Park in Port Lavaca, at the west end of the bay, where it is in service as the Port Lavaca Visitors Center.
View in Google Earth Categories: Lighthouses, Buildings - Misc
Links: www.lighthousefriends.com
By: WacoKidd110
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Advertisement