The Hamburg Temple was the synagogue of the Jewish reform movement in Hamburg (Germany) from 1818 to 1938. It was the first reform synagogue in Germany.
The New Israelite Temple Society was founded in 1817. One of the pioneers of the Temple movement was Israel Jacobson (1768–1828). In 1810 he founded his school synagogue in Seesen, and Kassel.
Dr. Eduard Kley together with Dr. Gotthold Salomon were the first spiritual leaders of the Hamburg Temple in 1818. The first members included Meyer Israel Bresselau, Lazarus Gumpel and Ruben Daniel Warburg. Later members included Salomon Heine and Dr. Gabriel Riesser, who was chairman of the Temple Association from 1840-43.
The Hamburg Temple was first invented in 1818 in the Brunnenstraße (Hamburg Neustadt).
The religious service of the Hamburg Temple was disseminated at the 1820 Leipzig Trade Fair where Jewish businessmen from Germany, many other European countries, and from the USA met and discussed the new ritual. As a consequence, the Reform community, including New York and Baltimore, adopted the Hamburg Temple's new prayer book, which was read from front to back, as in the Christian world.