Hibernian Hall is the only extant and authentic building significantly associated with the Democratic Convention of 1860 at Charleston - one of the most critical political assemblies in the Nation’s history. At Charleston, the fate of the old party system was sealed - the Democratic Party was shattered and Republican victory assured in the fall. Hibernian Hall served as headquarters for the faction supporting Stephen A. Douglas, the pivotal personality of the convention. Completed in 1840, Hibernian Hall was the first semi-public structure of pure Greek type in the city of Charleston. It has a front colonnade of six Ionic columns surmounted by a pediment. The entrance leads into large stair hall, centered by an open rotunda covered by a dome with coffered panels, supported by superimposed columns of the three Greek orders. The pediment collapsed in the earthquake of 1886 and was replaced by one with modillions of the Corinthian order and center circular-arched window. Listed in the National Register November 7, 1973; Designated a National Historic Landmark November 7, 1973.
Categories: Government - Local