In 1800, Charles Carroll of Carrollton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, offered his son a generous wedding gift — $10,000 to build and furnish a place in the country. The younger Charles designed and oversaw the building of the Federal style country house, completed in 1805. The 130 acer far had a dozen outbuildings. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, The Johns Hopkins University purchased the property in 1902 as the site for it's main campus.
Categories: Homes - Historic