"The Bombardier Pagoda, begun in 1998 and completed in 2000, replaced the glass-and-steel Master Control Tower, which was built during the winter of 1956-57. Prior to that time, a Japanese-style pagoda had occupied the spot. In fact, there were two of them, the first being built in time for the 1913 “500” and serving through 1925. It housed the press, timing and scoring, prominent officials and VIP guests and, toward the end of its run, a radio broadcast booth. Because it stood fairly close to the edge of the track, it was decided, for safety reasons, to replace it for 1926 with a newer version located a few yards farther back. The current building, which has 10 stories and rises to the height of a 13-story building, has a subtle suggestion of the old pagodas designed into it for reasons of nostalgia."
Towers - Communication