Originally a simple security valve at the Coulouvrenière hydraulic factory, this water fountain has, over the years, grown to be the symbol of Geneva.

In 1891, it was transferred to the "Rade", to become a major tourist attraction. However, it was not until 1951 that it was provided with an autonomous pumping station, propelling 500 litres of water per second to a height of 140 metres at a speed of 200 km per hour (124 miles/h).

Eight 9,000-watt projectors light the fountain’s majestic column in the evening as it soars skywards.
View in Google Earth Categories: Misc
By: DonMartini
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
kkeps picture
@ 2011-06-20 10:37:26
Advertisement