The Needham Estate is one of five houses Francis Abreu built on the New River during the 1925 “boom” period.

“The architecture was extraordinary. It had been created by society darling Frances Abreu, architect of the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Boulevard. His Mediterranean-Revival homes were credited for establishing the flavor of Fort Lauderdale's Rio Vista neighborhood. The estate's grounds were also superb, including a sprawling back yard along the New River,” according to an article in the Sun-Sentinel.

The first owner was John Wesley Needham manager of the Broward Hotel. In later years the house belonged to Sheriff Walter Clark of Kefauver hearing fame. Clark entertained such notables as Franklin Roosevelt and Winston Churchill at the house.
View in Google Earth Categories: Homes - Historic, Famous Architects
Links: historicneedhamestate.com
By: jdubble07
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Advertisement