The Northport Theater opened in 1932, and was restored in 1999 (after a severe attack of after-hours vandalism in 1997). The theater featured 520 floor seats plus 85 in the balcony. Home to a stage, wall tapestries, murals, and a marble ticket counter, the theater was closed as a "political statement" on January 22, 2003, the day after the Long Island town of Lindenhurst passed a resolution to condemn the owner's other Suffolk County theater, the Lindenhurst Theater (located about 20 miles away).

A not-for-profit organization, the Northport Performing Arts Center, acquired and modified the theater for use as a live venue, and it now the John W. Engeman Theater.
View in Google Earth Categories: Buildings - Theaters
Links: engemantheater.com
By: kkeps
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Advertisement