Built by Joseph Younger in 1931, the Kennedy-Warren is the city's most well-appointed Art Deco masterpiece, with clean, neo-classical lines and high reliefs of eagles and griffins. The building works particularly well with Paul Cret's nearby Connecticut Avenue Bridge. The Kennedy-Warren always maintained a distinguished roster of residents, such as Harry Hopkins, advisor to President Franklin D. Roosevelt, as well as Congressman and Mrs. Lyndon B. Johnson, who lived here from 1937-1940. During World War II, 29 generals and admirals had apartments here.
This building was placed on the DC Register in 1990 and on the National Register in 1994.