Ladd's Addition, Portland Oregon
By jbottero @ 2010-10-24 23:34:07
Ladd's Addition is named after William S. Ladd, a nineteenth-century Portland mayor who originally owned a 126-acre (500,000 m²) farm on the land. In 1891 (when the city of East Portland was merged into Portland) Ladd decided to subdivide the land for residential use. Rather than adopt the standard orthogonal grid of the majority of Portland, Ladd followed the inspiration of Pierre L'Enfant's plan for Washington, D.C. and created a diagonal "wagon wheel" arrangement, including four small diamond-shaped rose gardens and a central traffic circle surrounding a park.
10.0 (3 votes)