Ladd's Addition, Portland Oregon

Ladd's Addition, Portland Oregon


Portland, Oregon (OR), US
Ladd's Addition is named after William S. Ladd, a nineteenth-century Portland mayor who originally owned a 126-acre (500,000 m²) farm on the land. In 1891 (when the city of East Portland was merged into Portland) Ladd decided to subdivide the land for residential use. Rather than adopt the standard orthogonal grid of the majority of Portland, Ladd followed the inspiration of Pierre L'Enfant's plan for Washington, D.C. and created a diagonal "wagon wheel" arrangement, including four small diamond-shaped rose gardens and a central traffic circle surrounding a park.
Ladd's Addition is named after William S. Ladd, a nineteenth-century Portland mayor who originally owned a 126-acre (500,000 m²) farm on the land. In 1891 (when the city of East Portland was merged into Portland) Ladd decided to subdivide the land for residential use. Rather than adopt the standard orthogonal grid of the majority of Portland, Ladd followed the inspiration of Pierre L'Enfant's plan for Washington, D.C. and created a diagonal "wagon wheel" arrangement, including four small diamond-shaped rose gardens and a central traffic circle surrounding a park.
View in Google Earth Cities, Homes - Historic
Links: en.wikipedia.org
By: jbottero

Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload

Advertisement