Last Remaining Stone Arch of the Alexandria Aqueduct Bridge

Last Remaining Stone Arch of the Alexandria Aqueduct Bridge (Google Maps)
Last Remaining Stone Arch of the Alexandria Aqueduct Bridge (Birds Eye)
No Thumbnail
Google Maps Google Maps Birds Eye Birds Eye Yahoo Maps Yahoo Maps
View in Google Earth
By AlbinoFlea @ 2005-12-01 17:16:07
From oha.ci.alexandria.va.us:

The Alexandria Canal played a short, but important, part in the history of commercial navigation on the Potomac River. Congress granted a charter to Alexandria Canal Company on May 26, 1830. When completed, the Alexandria Canal crossed the Potomac River in an aqueduct bridge over 1,000 feet long between Georgetown and Rosslyn then ran on level ground seven miles to the edge of Alexandria terminating in a large basin. The Potomac Aqueduct Bridge, built under the direction of Major William Turnbull and Lieutenant Maskell C. Ewing, both of the U.S. Topographical Corps, was a large wooden trough supported by eight solid masonry piers, a major undertaking at the time. In 1845, the canal company completed the construction of the four lift locks at Alexandria which lowered canal boats approximately 38 feet to the Potomac River where they discharged their cargoes onto wharves or directly into sailing vessels.
Views by date
1,512
views
Rate as 1Rate as 2Rate as 3Rate as 4Rate as 5Rate as 6Rate as 7Rate as 8Rate as 9Rate as 10Unrated

Comments

Policies

Please log in if you don't want to post anonymously (anonymous users cannot post links)

Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Nearby maps
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Similar maps
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Share: