The Ambrose Lightship (# 87) established in 1907 served the captains of New York Harbor for many years. She was decommissioned in 1968 and donated to the Seaport, which has preserved her as a museum. Lightships were used in the channel because the construction of a lighthouse would have been too dangerous in the deep turbulent waters or sandy bottoms.
Sea - Lightships
The Ambrose got her name from the Ambrose Channel, which marks the southern entrance to the harbor. She proudly served at this station until 1932, when a newer ship replaced her, but her service was not over. For a period, she served as a Relief ship off Sandy Hook and during the Second World War, the Ambrose spent her time as an Examination ship at Fort Hancock, New Jersey.
The Ambrose Light Station replaced the lightships in 1967. The US Coast Guard staffed this Texas type light platform until they automated the light in 1988.
Links: www.lighthousemuseum.org, en.wikipedia.org