Mitchel AFB was first established in 1917 as the glamourously named "Aviation Field No. 2". It soon was renamed Mitchel Field and became the base of New York City's air defence during the wars. After World War II, Mitchel AFB was also used as a test field by various manufacturers of defence aviation equipment.
Unfortunately, urbanization of the surrounding area forced the military to relocate due to the difficulties of flying tactical missions in a developed area. This took on special urgency after a P-47 crashed into a building at Hofstra University; the airfield was closed in 1961 and the land given to the County of Nassau.
The former base is now home to Hofstra University, Nassau Community College, and Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum. The main runway, however, can still be seen in the northeast and southwest corner of this image.
, Military - Air Ports